About the Fellowship
The Cavendish Arts Science Fellowship at Girton College is made possible through a partnership between Cavendish Arts Science and Girton College, Cambridge. The Fellowship will last one year from October 2021, and will include a residency in Cambridge of up to a maximum of a year. The artist will receive a stipend, and accommodation and subsistence during the period of residency. A budget will be provided for the production of new work, and for travel.
The Fellowship is open to artists working in any medium and regardless of place of residence or nationality. Applicants must be out of full-time education and over the age of 18.
We welcome applications from artists:
- With experience of developing high-quality artistic ideas, processes, and outcomes.
- Committed to collaborating with others with different perspectives and interests to produce creative work and ideas.
- Enthusiastic about the potential to work with Cavendish physicists, and others beyond.
- Keen to explore and co-develop new ideas, and create innovative work beyond conventional spaces.
- Stimulated by opportunities to communicate and share ideas.
- A stipend of £10,000 GBP will be paid to the successful candidate.
- All accommodation and meals will be provided by Girton College during the residency in Cambridge.
- A budget of £10,000 GBP will be made available to support the development of new work.
- Travel to and from Cambridge for the residency will be paid for up to £3,000 GBP.
The selection of the Artist Fellow will take place over three stages. Initial screening for eligibility and longlisting will be overseen by the Cavendish Arts Science Producer. Following this, a panel of selectors drawn from our Committee, Creative Partners and Advisors together with the Director and Producer of Cavendish Arts Science will select a shortlist of candidates for an online interview which is planned to take place during the week beginning Monday 21 June 2021.
The successful applicant, who will normally be elected Visiting Fellow Commoner in the Arts at Girton College, will:
- Undertake a residency hosted by Girton College and the Cavendish Laboratory, normally spending at least two terms (or four months) in Cambridge between October 2021 and October 2022 and up to a maximum of one year, with potential for the period of residency to be split across two visits.
- Develop ideas through ongoing engagement with physicists and other researchers during the duration of the fellowship.
- Produce and exhibit new work during the period of fellowship.
- Have opportunities to exhibit work in other contexts including the opening of the new Cavendish Laboratory (Ray Dolby Centre) in 2023 and potentially those created through national and international partnerships.
Cavendish Arts Science is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all, regardless of sex, race, colour, religion and belief, ethnic or national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, gender reassignment, gender identity, gender expression, or disability. Please refer to the University of Cambridge's Equal Opportunities Policy for further information.
For questions about accessibility or to discuss any needs you may have, whether related to the application process or the Fellowship itself, please get in touch with us.
How to apply
All applications should be submitted using our online submission form by the deadline of 23:59:59 (BST) on 16 May 2021.
Before you apply, please also read our Questions and Answers below. (This has been updated on 13 May 2021 to address additional questions.) Any questions not answered after reading all of the available information can be submitted through our contact form.